From a child actor to a legendary diva, Sridevi created a significant space for the “heroine” in Indian cinema. She captivated audiences with her extraordinary screen presence and impeccable comic timing. Her sudden demise came as a shocker for the entire nation which is struggling to come to terms with the big loss.
In a career-spanning over five decades, Sridevi has charmed and mesmerized her fans like no other actor.She has acted in several blockbuster movies including Sadma (1983), Nagina (1986), ChaalBaaz (1989), Lamhe (1991), Khuda Gawah (1992), Gumrah (1993), Laadla (1994), Judaai (1997) and English Vinglish (2012).
She was one of the highest paid actors in Bollywood in the ’90s. With back-to-back superhits, she became the first female superstar of Bollywood, who did not need a male lead to run a blockbuster. The veteran actor was last seen in the revenge drama Mom (2017).
While most of us know the magical phenomenon that she was, there are some facts about her that are still not known to many. Let’s take a look at them as we remember the biggest female superstar of India:
1. The actor started her career when she was four years old in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan (1969). She was a child artiste in the film, Julie (1975). Sridevi made her foray into Bollywood as the lead actor in 1979 with Solva Saavan.
2. Sridevi did playback singing for movies like Sadma (1983), Chandni (1989), Garajna (1991) and Kshana Kshanam (1991).
3. Sridevi was considered to play a brief role in Steven Spielberg’s iconic movie Jurassic Park (1993). However, she declined the offer due to her Bollywood commitments.
4. Sridevi’s mother tongue is Tamil; so she faced difficulty in speaking Hindi, when she joined Bollywood. Yesteryear actor Naaz used to dub for her.The first time she dubbed for her own role was in Chandni (1989).
5. Sridevi was not the first choice for two of her biggest movies: Nagina (1986) and Chandni (1989). While Nagina was first offered to Jaya Prada, Rekha was the first choice for Chandni.
6. Not many people know that Sridevi was down with 103 degrees fever while shooting the famous song “Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai” for the movie Chalbaaz.
7. Indra Kumar wanted to cast Sridevi for his superhit movie Beta. She was supposed to star opposite Anil Kapoor in the movie but declined the offer because she had already done a string of films with the actor.
8. Sridevi played the role of Rajinikanth’s stepmother in the 1976 Tamil film Moondru Mudichu. At that time, she was only 13 years old.